Monday, May 12, 2014

Top Books To Indulge in this Summer 2014

So as summer rolls around a few of my friends have reached out and asked about what are some fun light summer reads by African writers. As an avid reader of African women writers the likes of Adichie, Ama Ata etc, It was really difficult to find new and fresh African love novels that I haven't read already. I however was determined to take my time and do some research on my own, hoping it will not only help me but my readers who are interested in such genre as well!   I hope you all enjoy reading and feel free to share your thoughts on any of them should you read!


1. African Love Stories an Anthology by Ama Ata Aidoo


There is something about a good short story, short enough to get it's point across, and also keep you wanting for more. I am hoping this first read can do just that. This author is by far one of my favorite African women writers so this book definitely made my top read for the summer.






2.  Baking Cakes in Kigali, Gaile Perkins


I honestly loved the name of this book, and my goal was to get light hearted reads this summer and this one caught my eye.


3.  The Spider King's Daughter, Chibunbo Onuzo


This book seems interesting and has a love story twist to it, so I definitely had to put it on my to read list.

4. We need new names, Noviolet Bulawayo


I am currently reading this book and I absolutely love the point of view and it's set in zimbabwe can't wait to dig in a bit more this summer.

5. Joy Came in the Morning by Yema Lucilda Hunter 


I actually was fortunate to meet Ms. Hunter during my time in Ghana and she is such a humble amazing woman, it wasn't until later a cousin of mine recommended her writing to me and I have decided to put it on my list to read for the summer. She is probably known amongst a lot of Sierra Leoneans for her popular novel The Road to Freedom. I look forward to reading this romance read. 







For all descriptions on books check out www.goodreads.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...